Each September, the American Trucking Association sponsors National Truck Driver Appreciation Week, a time set aside for the nation to thank its truck drivers for their commitment and hard work throughout the year. Whether we realize it or not, Americans depend on trucks every day to deliver essential goods to our communities. Join us the week of September 9-15 to thank and honor professional truck drivers. Our country countson truckers to continually go the extra mile—and they do—read below to learn some impressive statistics about the industry!
Trucking Moves America Forward, an organization that works to educate the public about the importance of the trucking industry, reports some incredible numbers:
- Trucks drive economic growth and jobs in America—in fact, the industry currently supports almost 7 million jobs, including 3.5 million professional drivers.
- Today, there are more than 30,000 job openings in the trucking industry.
- Trucks stimulate economic activity in every sector of the American economy—including health care, fuel and transportation, waste removal, retail, food and agriculture, manufacturing, banking and finance, and many others.
- Trucking provides the greater majority of shipping services and movement of goods in the United States. More than 80 percent of U.S. communities rely solely on trucking for delivery of goods.
- Trucking is mostly made up of small businesses – with 90 percent operating six or fewer trucks.
- Over 32 million trucks are on the road every day.
- Trucks traveled 421.3 billion miles in one year, enough to travel the earth to Saturn 564 times.
- Trucks haul nearly 10 billion tons of freight each year
- 1 in 16 Americans are employed by the trucking industry.
Penmac’s Transportation Division feels privileged to work with these dedicated drivers every day. If you’re interested in working with Penmac, we hire drivers with CDL A, B, and C licenses, as well as Class E drivers for local, regional, and OTR positions. Visit www.penmac.com/drive for more information.
Penmac can also help businesses who need to staff drivers for flatbeds, box trucks, tankers, dump trucks, and more. We ensure drivers are D.O.T. certified, have completed a screening process, are paid weekly on Penmac payroll, are eligible for workers compensation in the event of an accident, have a complete criminal background check, and more!